Thursday, February 10, 2011

A heated heart

I have named my blog as "Hati Hangat", which literally means "A heated heart" in Malay language.This is because I am commonly known as "Hati Hangat" at my workplace!You must be wondering why my colleagues, especially the nurses would usually tease me with the word "Hati Hangat"??Well..it was a long story dating back to my housemanship posting, while I was working at the so-called smallest hospital in the state of Perak, Malaysia.
At that time,"Hati Panas" was considered the most commonly heard catchphrase or exclamation by the few of us who were rather unfortunate to be posted to such an isolated place to work. We were sulking after working for sometime there and repeatedly pressing for transfer back to City! Life was never easy working there..especially with shortage of manpower, limited resources in term of laboratory facilities. Hence, we would always complaint and lament about our predicament there.That was how the word "Hati Panas" came about!
It was later followed by "Hati Hangat" when we became increasingly more frustrated! It was our way to let out our steam and anger. By doing that, we actually feel better by not holding on to our grudges! We would find ourselves teasing each other while doing round in the ward!
Now that I am working at one of the biggest and busiest hospital in Malaysia..things could only get worse! With my emotion running high and wild at times..especially when the ward is very busy and when we are facing difficult situation like dealing with fussy parents and managing very ill and critical patients..it is hard not to control our feeling and by blurting out the word "Hati Hangat" it would actually make me feel better!
Mind you..I am actually learning to control and subdue my emotion! Hence, when someone heard me saying that word..it is easy to understand that I am angry! But unlike others..I do not scold or let out my anger at anyone! Sometimes, they will tease me by asking "Are you hati hangat or not today?"
"Hati Panas" is less heaty if compared to "Hati Hangat". Just like the Kelvin scale of temperature, I would use different words to describe my anger..It has different levels of heat..the lowest being Hati Panas(Hot), then Hati Hangat (Heated up), Hati Steam (Boiling hot), Hati Hangus (scorched) , Hati Hangit (burned) followed by the worst..Hati Rentung (Completely burned to ash)!!
Similarly,when I am feeling great and cool..I would use words like Hati sejuk (Cold), Hati Bersalji (Snowing) to tease my colleagues! We would laugh our hearts out by teasing each other!
By naming my blog "Hati Hangat", it does not mean I am angry whenever I am writing this blog.. I feel it is a very unique name with a touch of Malaysian identity! In fact, if you translate the word "Hati Hangat" to Chinese, it can mean "being passionate about something"!
The word "Hati" actually has many meanings too.It means Liver in Malay Medical terminology! But it is commonly refering to as Heart or Love in Malay literature.
Well..Whether I am angry or passionate about writing.. you can judge me by reading my blog !

No comments:

Post a Comment